Cross Ankle Release (CAR)
The cross ankle release is considered an advanced pole trick and you should have a strong basic invert and be able to do a cross knee release first.
Some safety precautions to follow when performing any pole dance trick, especially inversions:
- No lotions or oils on your skin
- Learn without shoes first
- Use a crash mat and preferably a spotter
- Have a strong and effortless pole climb first
- Do these core exercises to develop the strength you need to get into the trick position, hold yourself and dismount with control
Here are a couple of instructional videos that demonstrate the move and the dismount:
Tips for learning the Cross Ankle Release
- Take note of the points of contact. You will need to squeeze tightly between your knees and ankles and let the pole touch between your butt as you lay back.
- Try this move from the floor first so that you can feel the points of contact as well as how your body weight feels being held by your legs only.
- Turn your knees in towards each other when in position. This might help hold you in place.
- Keep your legs squeezed together, especially the thighs, to hold you.
- This is a fun and dramatic pose to learn! It looks great when inserted into a pole dance routine's choreography.
Cross Ankle Release > Learn More Pole Dance Tricks