Learn the Back Spiral Spin
The Back Spiral spin, also known as the Pendulum, Reverse Grab Spin or Backhand Grip spin, is a graceful addition to a pole dance routine. It is one of those pole dancing moves that helps the dance flow.
There are a few basic steps to performing this spin:
- Reach up above your head with your dominant/stronger hand and keep your shoulder down and your scapula engaged.
- Holding onto the pole, kick out far enough away from the pole to get the side of your body (of the less-dominant hand or outside hand side) next to the pole so that you can reach back and grab it.
- Grab the pole and continue down to the floor with Stag Legs or with a Back Hook Spin and landing on your knees.
Here is a video clip by Pole Dance Community on how the spin is performed:
- Don't grip the pole too tightly. It is going to feel weird for a moment when you are single-handedly holding your body while in centrifugal motion...you will have to get used to this feeling and as you progress you will trust that your arm will hold you until that back hand can grab the pole behind you and you continue to spin.
- Kick out to get enough momentum to get your body far enough away from the pole so that you can reach back with that back hand.
- Don't give up if at first you cannot even go a full revolution around the pole. When I first learned this trick I had to go literally inches at a time until I could loosen my grip of that one hand.
- Also, the father out you 'throw' your body from the pole, the better you will be able to spin.
Back Spiral Spin > Pole Dance Tricks!