The Armpit Hold is a pole hold that requires some getting used to. Even though it can feel like your skin is being traumatized, the more you practice using different holds with different parts of your body, the skin tends to toughen and bruising and the 'pole burn' fade away.
There are basic steps to performing this hold:
1. Climb the pole.
2. Choose which side you want the grip to be on. Your arm and your torso will be on this side.
3. Grip the pole between your arm and your ribcage. This is where the 'hold' will take place.
4. With your free arm, grip the pole, hold your weight and release your legs.
5. Using the hand of the arm that is holding the armpit grip, grasp your ankle/leg behind you. Holding your weight, with your free arm reach back and grasp the other ankle.
6. Arch your back and look up so that the lines of your hold will be clean and pretty!
This video demonstrates both an elbow hold as well as the Fang (both hands holding the feet).
Do you want to learn some exercises that will make you stronger for pole? Check out my page here with ideas on exercises and conditioning to get stronger fast to be able to do more with your body! I also have an e-Book called "Pole Power" that outlines lots of exercises on and off the pole that you can do to up your strength.
Some girls are fit and strong enough to just jump into doing crazy tricks - these are the gymnasts, aerial dancers or just strong daredevils. But the majority of us have to start with basics. I even had a gal once who was a competitive weight lifter and bikini contestant come over to try my poles out. She was incredibly fit but not for hoisting herself upside down let alone hardly hold on for any length of time.
It takes getting your body used to:
Before trying any pole dancing tricks please: